The use of polyurethanes is not limited just to making serious things like molds and casts. You can have a lot of fun and also express your creative streak by making resin jewelry!
Making jewelry with polyurethane resins is an enjoyable hobby where you are only limited by your imagination. You can literally make any shape, size, or design that catches your fancy. Make artistic finger rings, earrings, bracelets, neckpieces in any color and pattern with interesting fillers and more.
Following is an outline of the procedure for making resin jewelry:
- You need an optically clear resin for making jewelry. It should be non-yellowing and preferably UV resistant too. Special, high-quality jewelry resins are available in art stores.
- Plan what you wish to make in advance. Decide the shape and size and choose appropriate molds accordingly. Also, decide the color (if any) you want in the jewelry.
- You can add almost anything as a filler – such as dried leaves, flowers, feathers, beads, stones, buttons, sprinkles, glitter, and whatnot. Any special keepsake can also be cast into a resin and worn as a memento.
- Prepare the mold by applying an appropriate release agent and let it air dry.
- Mix the resin slowly and thoroughly (generally equal parts of resin and hardener) to avoid air bubbles.
If you want to color the resin, add a few drops of urethane dye to the mix and blend properly. For an enchanting marble effect, leave it after just a few stirs. In sum, making resin jewelry is simple, enjoyable, and lets you show off unique charms and trinkets that can never be found anywhere else! You can also use the same procedure to make other fascinating items such as paperweights, fridge magnets, wall pieces, etc.